Food Protection and Public Safety
The Food Protection and Public Safety Unit serves as a resource to owners of licensed businesses as well as members of the public. The goal of this Unit’s work is to reduce the rate of diseases transmitted through food, recreational water, and tattoo and body piercing, as well as preventing environmental hazards in school and campgrounds. In addition, this Unit investigates complaints related to Ohio’s Smoke Free Workplace Law. Some of the services provided include, but are not limited to:
- Inspecting restaurants, grocery stores, and other places where food is sold.
- Investigating reports of possible food borne illnesses.
- Inspecting public swimming pools and spas.
- Providing training to the regulated community, including pool operators and food service workers.
- Answering citizen inquiries and concerns related to Ohio’s Smoke Free Law.
- Providing information to the public regarding proper food handling practices and recreational water safety.
- Providing consultative services regarding playground safety.
As a result of the everyday work of this Unit, residents of the Delaware General Health District can enjoy facilities such as restaurants and public pools knowing that a trained inspector has evaluated the facility for compliance with established regulations. Unit staff are dedicated to educating licensed facilities on the effect their actions can have on those who patronize their establishments. We work very hard to stay up to date with rule changes and emerging issues so that we can serve our residents and the regulated community to the best of our ability.
The safety of the public and our staff is a priority for the Health District. To aid in identification our Environmental Health inspection staff carry two forms of identification; a photo identification card and a metal badge. We encourage, and our inspecting staff welcome, the public to ask to see both forms of identification to prevent unauthorized access to a building, business, or home. No Health District personnel will ever treat an operator, business owner, or homeowner differently for asking for identification. Should someone arrive at your location and not be able to produce both forms of identification, please turn them away and call our office immediately.