Parents who birth their baby at home or outside a birthing facility, will register the birth of their baby with the local vital statistics office. The registration must be complete within 10 days of the birth of the baby. After 10 days, a Delayed Birth Affidavit must be filed in addition to the required documentation.
There are three main steps involved in registering a home birth:
Complete required forms and assemble the required materials:
- Consult the Checklist for Registration of an Out of Institution Birth for required documentation.
- Click here for a list of Examples of Acceptable Documentation
- Complete the Home Birth Worksheet
- Present documentation to the Registrar for Vital Statistics
- Review draft birth certificate
Once the documentation is presented the data will be entered to register the birth and generate a birth certificate. A signature will be required on the birth certificate and can be either the parents or the attendant to the birth.
Other miscellaneous forms: