Residential Environmental Health
The Residential Services unit is a vital resource to those who own or rent a dwelling in the Delaware General Health District. The work completed by Residential Services Sanitarians decreases the chance for disease transmission through our water supply, from vectors such as mosquitoes and ticks, and from animal bites. We provide services in many areas. These include, but are not limited to:
- Inspecting new and existing sewage treatment systems to ensure effective operation and reduction of disease causing bacteria and viruses in the wastewater.
- Investigating animal bite reports and collecting specimens for laboratory analysis to protect citizens from rabies.
- Providing educational materials on the avoidance of disease causing vectors such as mosquitoes and ticks.
- Answering citizen inquiries related to mold and radon in the indoor environment and providing a link to services.
- Addressing emerging issues such as bed bug awareness and education.
The culmination of these efforts results in a healthier home environment. Unit staff are dedicated to educating, promoting, and using enforcement if necessary to provide the best environment for residents to enjoy their time away from work or school. The past century has provided great advancements in properly treating home sewage, providing safe drinking water, and protecting the public from vector borne disease transmission.
We are dedicated to staying current with the most up to date information and serving our community to the best of our abilities. Call a Residential Services Sanitarian at 740-368-1700 should you have questions about environmental hazards in or around your home or apartment. Our staff welcomes the opportunity to answer questions and address concerns.