- Clostridium perfringens is a foodborne disease that occurs when food is left at an unsafe temperature.
- Although food samples tested negative for C. perfringens bacteria, the stool samples tested positive for the toxin that C. perfringens forms in the gastrointestinal tract.
- A specific food has not been able to be identified as the source of illness. Ongoing food and stool testing is being conducted by the CDC lab.
- “I am extremely proud of our team! This investigation included countless hours of phone calls and interviews along with multiple inspections. We are also appreciative of our community for being very cooperative during this investigation and for understanding our work in protecting the public’s health. We are also thankful for the work of our partners at the Ohio Department of Health and the CDC,” said Delaware County Health Commissioner Shelia Hiddleson.
- In response to this outbreak, Brian Niccol, CEO of Chipotle Mexican Grill stated that “Chipotle Field Leadership will be retraining all restaurant employees nationwide beginning next week on food safety and wellness protocols.” Click here for complete statement.
- Health District staff identified 647 people who self-reported gastrointestinal symptoms after consuming food from the Chipotle on Sawmill Parkway between Thursday July 26 – Monday July 30, 2018.
Last Updated on August 16, 2018